2021-2022 Squash Season Preview

Assistant Captain Ian Mckenna

Isaac Haught, Editor-in-Chief

November certainly came quick this year, and with it the 2021-2022 Squash season has commenced. Captains Elijah Dorrow, Ian and Peter Mckenna, and Cyril Andrews eased the team into practice by holding pre-season training sessions which has positively set the tone for the program. Numbers were as strong as ever, with over 60 students trying out. After a top 32 draw, Coaches Bridge, Mueller and Connor separated the 4 teams out and have been preparing for competition steadily since. Elijah just introduced our top 12 players this morning to finalize the beginning of the season. The top 12 Varsity squad is a robust group and has a lot of potential when it comes to interscholastic play and eventually the national tournament. Already, they swept Nichols School from Buffalo on the 4th. Each of our top 9 varsity players defeated each of theirs, and some of the high B-team members secured victories as well. The next matches are at Hill School on Friday the 10th and Blair Academy on Saturday the 11th. Additionally, a US alumni match will be held on December 18th. Trainer Alvarez and Coach Connor have been conditioning the players so they will physically be able to dominate in these games.

The squash program faced numerous challenges last year due to COVID-19, and luckily this year there are a fewer burdens. More students are allowed on court at a time, and the painful combination of a mask and foggy goggles is no more. Still, it is important for the team to take precautions and they are definitely not lacking in that area. Social distancing is being maintained and off court spectators must wear masks. Furthermore, during competition, Coach Bridge has decided to open the exterior door to increase airflow. Surfaces and equipment are still being sprayed and cleaned off  like last year and players are not permitted to wipe their hands on the walls of the court.

Our captains along with Isaac Haught, Chris Bridge, and Alex DeVine are the seniors on the team. They are a resilient and competent group who will do a lot of good for the program. In combination with the determination of our well-equipped Juniors and underclassmen, the team will march forward this season and experience a lot of success. Our Senior Captains and coaches have their eyes on the prize and are hoping to secure a national championship. The depth of the team paired with their motivation, dedication to training and strenuous preseason efforts will take them very far. All members of the team would appreciate support from anyone in the University School Community, so it is important to congratulate our athletes and even come out and watch if possible. Go Preppers!