Golf Team Update

Jack Henry Muha, Staff Writer

The University School golf team has had a productive and exciting season so far. Starting on August 1st, the team shot right out of the gate as they looked to redeem last year’s performance and hopefully clinch a spot for the state tournament in Columbus. With the leadership of senior captain Tommy Coyne, the team is in good hands. Tommy has been a member of the University School golf program since his freshmen year, and after consistently hitting the range during the off-season, Tommy made the varsity squad his sophomore year. With his extensive experience, he will help mentor some of the younger players on the team this season. Aside from his leadership, Tommy has also shown his ability to lead the team with his play having already posted a season-low score of 71. Juniors Ben Clegg, Gavin Tallal, and Eric Arklett have also settled into critical roles on this year’s team. Ben has shown exceptional improvement from last year, posting a season-low score of 75. Coach Neer describes Ben as an aggressive golfer with both the driver and putter in his hand. Gavin Tallal posted a season-low score of 73, making him another essential part of this year’s team. With his calm demeanor, Gavin dissects the course every time he plays. Eric Arklett has shown tremendous improvement as well, posting his season-low of a 76. Beyond the core group of upperclassmen, the team adds promising sophomore Joey Kubik and freshman Chris Bridge to this year’s squad. Despite his inexperience at the varsity level, Joey Kubik is learning what it takes to compete at a high level, as he posted a 77 in one of his best rounds of the season. Finally, Chris Bridge, the latest addition to this year’s team, posted a 78 in his best round. With quality performances from all sophomores and juniors, next year’s squad will surely be a good one. Overall, the team has placed in the top 3 in four events this season. With the leaves changing and the weather getting cooler, the state tournament is quickly approaching. Look for this year’s team to make a run in the postseason led by the strong performance of their upperclassmen. With a well-rounded lineup, the Preppers will be a force to be reckoned with in Columbus.