Indoor Track: More than just a Sports Credit

Enea Cominelli, Staff Writer

Indoor Track is a sport that not many people know exists. Led by Head Coach Zappas, it is a sport that not only provides a competitive arena for avid runners, but it also prepares students for a fitter lifestyle and for other sports.

Like its name suggests, Indoor Track is almost identical to Track and Field, but there are some differences. The indoor track is 100m shorter but still allows for most, if not all events. Additional events are also included: the 55m dash and the dreaded 300m sprint.

Nonetheless, Indoor Track is not a simple or easy sport that most students want to do solely for a sports credit. It provides runners with rigorous running exercises as well as lifting twice a week. Our school is fortunate enough to have an indoor track and participation for the team takes full advantage of this perk.

With Cleveland’s weather during the winter months being unpredictable, having the indoor track can keep athletes prepared for their respective sports and in shape all-year-round. A good example of this is that the football team, for many years, has been required to run indoor track as a way to make sure that they are prepared for the upcoming season. While not required, many soccer players, as well as lacrosse players, also run for the Indoor Track team to keep in great shape for their upcoming seasons. With its lenient practice schedule, Indoor Track is a great way to improve fitness while not being bombarded with a huge time constriction.

From personal experience, Indoor Track has put me in the best shape while preparing me for Track and Field and club soccer in the spring. It allows students who have absolutely no experience in the workout facilities to learn proper lifting techniques and programs, so they can eventually build a fitness program for themselves in the future.

Indoor Track may be a sport that many take for granted, but it should be considered as part of a routine for all athletes who wish to maintain fitness and keep on top of their game during the offseason. I, personally, encourage more students to participate in Indoor Track.