The Sanders House Buddy System

Ryan Cvelbar, Staff Writer

University School’s motto–Responsibility, Loyalty and Consideration –is not merely a jumble of words, but an embodiment of what US stands for and strives towards.

At the start of the academic year, Sanders House took the initiative to expand on this motto by developing a buddy system. This system allowed the house to apply the school’s motto in the school community while enriching everyone’s experience at US.

Last week, I spoke with Sanders House prefect, Jon Blackwell, to talk about the buddy system he and Mrs. Coy had implemented and to gain a better understanding of the system’s purpose and impact on the school community. Having had an older brother to provide him with advice and support when he first came to the upper school, Jon expressed that he saw the potential benefits of having an older brother figure to guide the underclassmen. Wanting others to benefit from an experience like his, Jon paired every freshman with a junior within Sanders House and coordinated a meeting approximately two weeks ago for the buddies to meet and get to know each other.

Jon’s hope is that the buddy system will promote more unity between upperclassman and underclassmen within Sanders house, while providing social and academic guidance to the freshmen. In an attempt to increase the frequency of communication among upperclassman and underclassmen Sanders House buddies, Jon expects that the junior buddies check in with their freshman buddies at least every two weeks. Additionally,  he is also considering having the buddies sit together at lunch next interim to help develop theIr relationship.

Jon pointed out that juniors and freshmen are only the start to this system and that all of Sanders House will be taking part in the system next year as the freshman and juniors move up a grade and the incoming freshman are assigned their junior buddies. This system not only functions to ease the stress experienced by freshmen in a new and rigorous environment, but also enforces the consideration aspect of University School’s motto by stressing the importance of welcoming those new to the upper school and assisting in their transition.

I personally experienced a buddy system at the school I previously attended before I came to US upper. At my old school, each kindergartner was paired with a seventh grader and each first grader was paired with an eight grader. I found this system to be a great way to help incorporate the younger students into the school. Based on my experience, I agree with Jon’s approach to the system and belief that the underclassmen would benefit from having an older brother figure for guidance and support. By expanding on the consideration aspect of University School’s motto, this system of brotherhood should not be limited to Sanders House students, but should also be adopted by the rest of the houses so as to extend the benefits of the system to the rest of the school.