Team 127 Forever

Kevin McMahon, Staff Writer

On Friday night University School’s 127th football team fell to Padula 48-41. Although the odds didn’t fall in our favor, the team ended with a strong 7-3 season winning 6 of their final 7 games with wins over Gilmour and Maple Heights to go with many others. The Preppers went to the playoffs for the 2nd year in a row, following their success from 2016 where they won their first playoff game since 2005. US was led by senior Quarterback and Youngstown St. commit Jayden Cunningham who accounted for 2463 total yards of total offense, 1597 of those through the air and 866 on the ground. He also accounted for an impressive 28 total touchdowns. Joe Kadlic led the ground game for the Preppers with 995 yards and 8 touchdowns. Although the Preppers dealt with a whole new receiving core, the team saw impressive production from Juniors Jake Kapp and Jack Voudoris as well as Sophomore Nic Pujolis. An Offensive Line, that featured Mikey Fedeli and was anchored by Bastien Weisbein, always was responsible for the big plays when they occurred. On defense, the team, led by Jayden Cunningham, Lewis Allen, Kevin Douglas, Seven Richmond, and Dino Comber, always came together to make a key fumble recovery or interception to give the team the momentum. Team 127 was certainly not a team to be forgotten and set the tone for what a football team should be like on and off the field. Although the scoreboard did not show it, in my mind Team 127 will always be a winner.