Founders’ Day – A US Tradition

Max Razavi, Staff Writer

With Founders’ Day coming up this Friday, September 22, one may find themselves asking: “Why trade a day of scholastic enrichment for outdoor fun and games?” I sat down with Hawley House Prefect Firas Abboud for more details on what makes Founders’ Day such an important part of the University School’s DNA. Founders’ Day is an annual event held at the US Upper Campus to commemorate the establishment of the school on September 17, 1890 by Newton Anderson. All boys in grades Kindergarten through Twelfth Grade come together to engage in athletic events in hopes of earning house points. Many schools host a Field Day at the end of the year, but what makes University School different is that Founders’ Day is meant not just as a fun way to get together as a school, but also to honor the founders and important figures in the school’s history.

So, how does this day work? First, all ten houses will convene for donuts and other breakfast items in the Dining Hall. After that, students will be lead down to the fields and hear from the Headmaster as well as the Prefects from each house. Houses are split into two teams; then, the games begin. This year, four returning main events will be Battleball, Tug of War, Four-Way Soccer, and Capture the Flag. New to Founders’ Day is the Earthball Relay, an event that will be fully detailed the day of the games. At the end of the day, select students and faculty will participate in an Egg Toss. Viewed by all in attendance, this is arguably the most anticipated part of Founders’ Day each year.

Once the competition is over, all that is left to do is to announce the winning house. While houses win points relative to their individual victories throughout the day, winning Founders’ Day is still significant as it indicates which house is closest to winning the House Cup at the end of the year. In years past, points awarded during Founders’ Day could make up over half of all points earned throughout the year. Although point distribution is rumored to provide more chances for losing houses to catch up throughout the year, there is no question that performing well on Founders’ Day is crucial to winning the House Cup.

While winning is great, it is important to remember that Founders’ Day was not created for the sole purpose of competition. At its core, this day is meant to bring students and faculty throughout the US community together to remind us that without the contributions of leaders such as Newton Anderson, there would be no University School. As summed up by Firas Abboud, “it is a really meaningful day that goes far beyond the field and the competition, and [students] should really make the most of it.”